Monday

BFCA's Critics' Choice Awards Results & Analysis

                                                                         Photo: VH1

Best Picture:
WINNER: "The Social Network" (my pick)

Best Director:
WINNER: David Fincher, "The Social Network" (my pick)

Best Actor:
WINNER: Colin Firth, "The King's Speech" (my pick)

Best Actress:
WINNER: Natalie Portman, "Black Swan" (my pick)

Best Supporting Actor:
WINNER: Christian Bale, "The Fighter" (my pick)

Best Supporting Actress:
WINNER: Melissa Leo, "The Fighter"
My pick: Amy Adams, "The Fighter"

Best Young Actor/Actress:
WINNER: Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit"
My pick: Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"

Best Acting Ensemble:
WINNER: "The Fighter"
My pick: "The Social Network"

Best Original Screenplay:
WINNER: David Seidler, "The King's Speech"
My pick: Christopher Nolan, "Inception"

Best Adapted Screenplay:
WINNER: Aaron Sorkin, "The Social Network" (my pick)

Best Cinematography:
WINNER: Wally Pfister, "Inception"
My pick: Roger Deakins, "True Grit"

Best Comedy:
WINNER: "Easy A" (my pick)

Best Action Movie:
WINNER: "Inception" (my pick)

More after the jump...


And the categories that I did not make predictions for went like this...

Best Picture Made for Television:
WINNER: "The Pacific"

Best Documentary Feature:
WINNER: "Waiting For Superman"

Best Animated Feature:
WINNER: "Toy Story 3"

Best Art Direction:
WINNER: "Inception"

Best Editing:
WINNER: Lee Smith, "Inception"

Best Costume Design:
WINNER: Colleen Atwood, "Alice in Wonderland"

Best Makeup:
WINNER: "Alice in Wonderland"

Best Visual Effects:
WINNER: "Inception"

Best Foreign Language Film:
WINNER: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"

Best Song:
WINNER: "If I Rise" - A.R. Rahman & Dido / from "127 Hours"

Best Score:
WINNER: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, "The Social Network"



Winner Tally:

  • Inception: 5
  • The Social Network: 4
  • The King's Speech: 2
  • The Fighter: 2
  • Alice in Wonderland: 2
  • Black Swan: 1
  • 127 Hours: 1
  • True Grit: 1
  • Toy Story 3: 1
  • Easy A: 1
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: 1
  • The Pacific: 1
  • Waiting for Superman: 1

Oscar Implications:
  • The Fighter gets a huge lift by winning the cast ensemble award, beating out Oscar frontrunners The Social Network and The King's Speech. An ensemble win at the SAG awards would be even bigger. Keep in mind that the actor's branch of the AMPAS contains more members than any of the other fourteen branches (by far, I believe).
  • The Social Network continues its dominance; clearly the Best Picture frontrunner.
  • Inception gets the most awards and makes a huge splash in the technical departments. Editing and visual effects were half expected, and even art direction seemed fairly plausible, but cinematography surprised me a bit. Good rule of thumb: The more branches a film appeals to, the better. Look for Inception to be a possible top three vote-getter for Best Picture at the Oscars.
  • Black Swan received a record-breaking amount of nominations, but won only for Best Actress. Portman will win at the Oscars, but I look for everyone else to go home empty handed.
  • Melissa Leo is probably the favorite for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars—that is if she wasn't already before. But it'll be a strong field this year, so I won't call game, set & match quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment